65
The next day, Xiao Die and Bai Xiangwan returned together.
After excitedly showing Shen Dai the photo she took with Yan Mingxiu, Xiao Die headed off to do the cooking.
Bai Xiangwan went to check on Qiuqiu, who immediately became happy and well-behaved as soon as he sensed the gentle Siberian Elm pheromones, eyes turning up in a smile as he giggled and waved his little hands hyperactively, babbling on about something.
Having played with the baby for a while, Bai Xiangwang noticed Shen Dai sitting to the side, staring vacantly in their direction, completely spaced out. Waving a hand in front of Shen Dai's eyes, he asked softly, “Didn’t sleep well again last night?”
Shen Dai gradually recovered his senses, letting out an accompanying yawn. "I'm already used to it," he replied, forcing a smile.
“Did you manage to find a night shift nanny?
“The agent recommended three to me. I’m planning to interview them today.”
“It’ll be easier once you have one. You can’t keep pushing yourself like this. It’s not good for your body.”
Shen Dai nodded. “Once the night shift nanny arrives, things will get easier. I’ve hardly made any progress on my thesis ever since he was born.”
“You’re already three months old. You have to grow up a little,” teased Bai Xiangwan, tapping Qiuqiu on his tiny chest with the tip of his finger. “Stop pestering your daddy all the time.”
Shen Dai laughed. “Thanks to your pheromones, he’s already much better than before.”
Bai Xiangwan studied Qiuqiu, his bright eyes flickering as if he were hesitant about something. A good while passed before he spoke up: “His alpha father’s pheromones don’t work?”
Shen Dai was momentarily taken aback.
Bai Xiangwan turned towards him. His gaze was mild, not questioning or curious, and not probing either. And just as naturally as bringing up one of the specialised topics they usually discussed, he added, “I sensed it the moment I stepped into the apartment. His father is Qu Moyu, right?”
Although he was being careful to let Shen Dai save face with his facial expression and how he phrased the question, Shen Dai still lowered his head in embarrassment.
"I guessed it a while ago. I'd heard a few…but it wasn't until his visit this time that I was certain.”
“Shixiong, I’m sorry for causing you trouble.”
“It’s nothing.” Bai Xiangwan shrugged. "He's the boss. For the sake of money, it doesn't really matter if he criticises me. In the end, he still has to hand me the project.”
“I don’t want Qiuqiu to have any relationship with him,” said Shen Dai, in a low voice. “Qiuqiu also rejects his pheromones.”
"And what about him?"
Shen Dai hesitated for a moment. “We've been over for a long time now. Besides, he's already engaged.”
Bai Xiangwan didn't see it that way. Although there were some actions he might not agree with, as an Alpha himself, he could understand. That Qu Moyu had deliberately come calling, and moreover, had treated him with such hostility, clearly showed that in Qu Moyu's mind, the two of them were not yet "over.”
But seeing the dark circles around Shen Dai’s eyes and the exhaustion on his face, he, too, felt a heaviness in his heart and didn't know what to say.
After giving it some thought, he asked, “And what are your plans for the future?”
"To get a job. I've already started looking."
"Don’t bother looking anymore. Go back, hand in your resignation, then come and work here with me."
Shen Dai looked at him, wanting to speak but held back.
“Are you worried that Qu Moyu will make things difficult for you, or that he will make things difficult for me?”
“Shixiong, you’ve already helped me so much; you don’t need to implicate yourself in this matter on my behalf.”
‘Implicate’ is too strong a word. I think you’re worrying too much. He’s the group’s CEO, after all. It would be beneath him to make things difficult for a minor employee like you. The branch here in Lancheng operates independently—he doesn’t have control over who we appoint or dismiss. He won’t cause trouble for me over something like this.” Bai Xiangwan winked. “I make him so much money every year after all.”
How Qu Moyu was going to make things difficult for him, Shen Dai really couldn’t begin to imagine. Each time the conflict between them deepened, he uncovered a darker and more malicious side of Qu Moyu.
Though, he did feel that Bai Xiangwan’s confidence was justified. The mining area in Lancheng was the corporation’s primary source of profit, and Bai Xiangwan had a major project in his hands. Although the relationship between employer and employee was a two-way street, with employees typically holding less power, exceptional talents like Bai Xiangwan had reached a position where they could truly say: ‘If this place doesn’t want me, then somewhere else will.' The only fear was on the company's part that Bai Xiangwan would switch jobs; it was unthinkable that Bai Xiangwan was afraid of being forced out.
Shen Dai looked up to him a lot. If his teacher represented his final goal, Bai Xiangwan was his halfway mark.
“And what do you think?” Seeing Shen Dai's hesitation, he added gently, “If you resign voluntarily, you might lose some reimbursements and stock options at most. But if you come and work for me, I'll offer you excellent compensation and ample opportunities for growth. You are just the talent I need. ”
Shen Dai looked at Bai Xiangwan with gratitude. “Shixiong, your words mean a lot to me. I’ve never wanted to be treated differently because of my gender. When I decided to keep Qiuqiu, I was prepared that my career would stagnate for a few years, or even that I might have to start over from nothing. But I never imagined it would be this difficult. If not for pushing through and finishing my thesis this past year, I might have really fallen apart.
He smiled bitterly. Thinking back to it, that might have been the most painful, exhausting, demoralising, and anxiety-filled time of his life. “The fact that you think I’m useful encourages me a lot.”
"Whatever feelings of dejection you’re having right now are completely normal. You've been through a lot, but I believe you will recover. It seems like you're almost ready,” said Bai Xiangwan, sincerely and confidently."Come and work for me."
Shen Dai had originally planned to return to Beijing to look for a job. Firstly, because he was worried about his grandmother— his home was over there after all. And secondly, because there were more job opportunities and higher salaries there.
But in just a few words, Bai Xiangwan had changed his mind.
If he stayed here, he could be far away from Qu Moyu, far from the one who hurt, humiliated, and exploited him.
His gaze turning resolute, he declared, “Shixiong, give me some time. I'll go back and tender my resignation, and after that, I’d like to bring my grandmother over here. Once everything is settled, I can go back to work with peace of mind. I won't let you down."
Bai Xiangwan looked at him, a bright smile on his face and a tender look in his eyes.
“I know you won’t.”
Qu Moyu was seated in his private jet. The pre-flight safety procedures had been completed and all that was left was waiting for clearance from the control tower.
With his cheek resting on the palm of his hand, he appeared completely motionless, staring out the window, but in fact, he was listening in on Yan Mingxiu, seated across from him, having a video call with his wife.
"Yeah, we're taking off in a bit. I should reach home about the same time as you."
“Yup, I’ve already bought the local specialities, should be enough for you to go around."
"You’re seriously still thinking of filming at that mining site? Do you know how hot and awful the conditions are out there? Can you stop trying to challenge yourself all the time?” Despite Yan Mingxiu's reprimanding tone, his eyes could not conceal a tender smile.
The two didn't talk for very long, and their conversation centred on everyday life, yet it caused Qu Moyu to repeatedly glance over out of the corner of his eye.
After hanging up, Yan Mingxiu removed his Bluetooth headset and looked at his watch: “We should be able to reach around four, right?”
“Yeah, thereabouts,” replied Qu Moyu, then added teasingly, “How affectionate. Do you both talk every day?“ He had seen a few of Zhou Xiang’s films and met him two times at a party before. In contrast to the diverse characters he portrayed on screen, the award-winning actor was quite easygoing in real life—clearly someone with a high emotional intelligence and a good temperament.
Yan Mingxiu smiled. “We’re apart more than we are together. I'm frequently away on business, and he often has to be away for filming as well.”
Qu Moyu was never the sort to inquire into other people’s personal affairs, not only out of politeness, but more that he wasn’t interested, except this once, he couldn’t help his curiosity and asked, “Back when the two of you got married, weren’t you both …. apprehensive? I mean, he was a Beta who couldn’t be marked.” A top alpha would encounter countless temptations in the course of a lifetime, and a mark was the only restraint likely to ensure their loyalty.
“I had the same doubts as you before meeting him, but after, I didn’t feel that these were issues at all.” The expression on Yan Mingxiu’s face was both calm and unperturbed. Evidently he had been asked this question many times before, and at each time he answered with sincere conviction.
Qu Moyu was feeling a mixture of things. What was it that Yan Mingxiu could marry a Beta, and he couldn’t handle an Omega that he had marked? He had never experienced such frustration until now.
What lingered in his mind was the face of Shen Dai— filled with resentment, frightened and teary-eyed. The effect of recency had caused Shen Dai’s defiance towards him to be infinitely magnified, to the point that he couldn’t recall what those beautiful scenes had been like, when admiration, adoration, dependence, happiness and passion had once appeared on that very face.
Shen Dai had said that he liked him, then said that he despised him. At that thought, his heart ached immeasurably.
Shen Dai had already taken the conversation this far, provoking him to do foolish things that even he found shameful. He’d simply been a disgrace. His pride would not allow him to repeatedly go back and plead. Nor would it allow an omega to affect his state of mind and actions. If Shen Dai was going to be this ungrateful, then was he really that irreplaceable!
At that moment, a flight attendant came over with two glasses of sparkling water, knelt down, placed them on the coffee table between them and said respectfully, "President Qu, President Yan, the plane will be taking off shortly and is expected to arrive at a quarter past four."
Qu Moyu came back from his thoughts. “Alright. A glass of mineral water, please. Thank you.”
The flight attendant removed his glass, replacing it with one filled with mineral water.
Taking out a medicine bottle, Qu Moyu then swallowed two pills.
Seeing the familiar-looking bottle, Yan Mingxiu frowned. “Isn’t that medicine to delay rut? It’s very strong.”
“Well, I have things planned,” replied Qu Moyu nonchalantly.
“We could have brought the signing ceremony for our project forward or pushed it back. In any case, the deal has already gone through. What need is there to take such harmful medicine?”
Yan Mingxiu scanned Qu Moyu up and down with his deep eyes, finally understanding why he had become visibly thinner after not seeing him for a few days.
“I didn’t take a lot, just enough to tide me over until I get home.” Qu Moyu smiled, pretending to be relaxed. “The schedule has been set anyway.”
He wasn’t going to tell anyone that he was delaying his rut out of fear. Rut was never an easy period to get through, but as an Alpha, he should have been used to it by now. Only, this time was different. Over the past year, the longing he felt deep down for someone had never ceased, and rut would only magnify this desire.
Never mind, life was a constant battle against desire after all. He didn’t believe that he could be controlled by an omega. He liked Shen Dai, but liking someone wasn’t important. If he couldn’t even let go of these burdensome feelings, then how could he even call himself a top Alpha?